- Master of Arts, Geography
- Miami University
- Thesis: Site characteristics of beaver dams in southwest Ohio, advised by Bartosz Grudzinski, PhD.
- Expected January 2020
- Bachelor of Science, Marine Biology
- University of California, Santa Cruz
- Honors Thesis: Home range trends among the pumas of the Santa Cruz Mountains, advised by Chris Wilmers, PhD.
- Associates of Science
- Biological Sciences
- Foothill College, Los Altos Hills, CA
- Graduate Teaching Assistant
- Miami University, Department of Geography
- TA for Introduction to Physical Geography
- 2018 – 2020
- Learning Skills Advisor
- University of California, Santa Cruz
- Costa Lab
- Happy Whale
- Research Intern
- Cameroon Invertebrate Research with Joe Cutler
- Field Intern
- The Puma Project
- COMET Mentor
- STARS Program (Services for transfer and re-entry students)
- Animal Care
- NOAA Salmonid Lab Intern
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Dr. Cynthia Kern
Undergraduate Coursework: Animal Physiology, Behavioral Ecology, Biology of Marine Mammals, Ecology, Evolution, Field Methods for Large Marine Vertebrates, Genetics, Introduction to GIS, Intermediate GIS, Invertebrate Zoology, Mammalogy, Marine Ecology, Marine Environment, Organic Chemistry
Graduate Coursework: Data Visualization, Geographic Thought, Remote Sensing, Research Techniques, Spatial Database Management, Statistical Modeling and Study Design
Skills: Cartography; GIS; GPS; Home Range Calculation (Minimum Convex Polygon, Kernel Density Estimation, Local convex hull); Invertebrate Sorting and Classification; Marine Mammal Husbandry; Off road driving: ATV and 4WD; Photo Identification of Humpbacks; Public Speaking; Puma Capture: Baiting, Trap Setting, and Monitoring; Radio Telemetry; Resighting of N. Elephant Seal; Set up and maintenance of camera traps; Sherman Trapping; Species Distribution Modeling; Video Data Collection
Software Proficiency: Adobe Creative Suite, ArcGIS 10.x, ENVI, Google Earth Engine, GIMP, Inkscape, Microsoft Office, PostGIS/PostgresSQL, QGIS 2.x and 3.x
Awards, Scholarships, and Honors
- 2019 Council of Graduate School’s Annual Meeting Invited Speaker
- 2019 American Association of Geographer’s Cartography Specialty Group Illustrated Student Paper Competition Finalist
- 2019 People’s Choice in Midwestern Association of Graduate Schools Three Minute Thesis Competition
- 2019 1st Place in Miami University’s 3 Minute Thesis Competition
- 2018-2019 Miami University, Department of Geography Graduate Teaching Assistantship
- 2017 Department of Defense Science, Mathematics, and Research for Transformation (SMART) Semi-finalist
- 2017 Oakes Senior Showcase
- 2016 Packard Scholar
Grudzinski, B. P., Cummins, H., & Vang, T. K. (2019). Beaver canals and their environmental effects. Progress in Physical Geography: Earth and Environment, 030913331987311. https://doi.org/10.1177/0309133319873116
Oral and Poster Presentations
- 2019 American Association of Geographers Annual Meeting poster presentation, “Preliminary site characteristics of beavers in southwest Ohio”
- 2017 UCSC Undergraduate Research Symposium poster presentation on “Home range trends among the pumas of the Santa Cruz Mountains.”
- 2017 Environmental Sciences Undergrad Senior Seminar poster presentation on “Home range trends among the pumas of the Santa Cruz Mountains.”
- 2016 American Cetacean Society International Conference poster presentation on “Fine scale site fidelity of northern elephant seals at Año Nuevo State Park”
- 2016 Society for Advancement of Chicanos/Hispanics & Native Americans in Science (SACNAS) poster presentation on “Fine scale site fidelity of northern elephant seals at Año Nuevo State Park”
- 2016 UCSC Summer Research Symposium poster presentation on “Fine scale site fidelity of northern elephant seals at Año Nuevo State Park”
- 2016 UCSC Undergraduate Research Symposium poster presentation on “Fine scale site fidelity of northern elephant seals at Año Nuevo State Park”
Outreach, Guest Lectures, and Workshops
- Preble County Conservation Day Camp. June 20, 2019.
- Invited speaker. Spoke on the environmental impacts of beaver dams.
- RedHawk Talks. Miami University. March 2019.
- RedHawk Talks is a TED style speaking event sponsored by the Graduate School of Miami University.
- Introduction to PostGIS Workshop. Miami University. November 2018.
- Science Judge, Sea Lion Bowl. Feb 2014, Feb 2016.
- Exhibit Guide, Seymour Center. 2010 – 2012.
- Izzy Aristizabal: 2018-2019 Field Technician in the Grudzinski Lab
- Claire Stock: 2019 Field Technician in the Grudzinski Lab
- Mark Arenas: 2018 – 2020 Scholar in the Doris Duke Conservation Program at Northern Arizona University
- Vy Thuy Nguyen: 2018 – 2020 Scholar in UC Leads
- Ana Baylisss Grijalva: 2017 – 2020 Undergraduate researcher in the Bin Chen Lab and a 2018 UC Santa Cruz Packard Scholar
- Katherine Pham: University of California Santa Cruz
- Diana Alvarado: 2018 – 2019 Undergraduate Researcher in the Costa Lab and a 2018 UCSC Packard Scholarship
- Olivia Daniels: 2018 – 2019 Santa Cruz Puma Project Intern
- American Association of Geographers
- American Geophysical Union