- Master of Professional Studies, Data Analytics
- Pennsylvania State University
- In Progress
- Master of Arts, Geography
- Miami University
- Thesis: Site characteristics of beaver dams in southwest Ohio, advised by Bartosz Grudzinski, PhD.
- Awaiting public defense of thesis.
- Bachelor of Science, Marine Biology
- University of California, Santa Cruz
- Honors Thesis: Home range trends among the pumas of the Santa Cruz Mountains, advised by Chris Wilmers, PhD.
- Associates of Science
- Biological Sciences
- Foothill College, Los Altos Hills, CA
- Operations Analyst
- 2021 – Present
- Associate Demand Analyst
- Graduate Teaching Assistant
- Miami University, Department of Geography
- TA for Introduction to Physical Geography
- 2018 – 2020
- As a note for prospective employers and background check personnel, Miami University does not recognize TAs as employees of the University. While I wholeheartedly disagree with this, frankly, controversial position, I do have my W2s from my time as a TA available upon request to appropriate personnel.
- Learning Skills Advisor
- University of California, Santa Cruz
- Costa Lab
- Field Intern
- The Puma Project
Undergraduate Coursework: Animal Physiology, Behavioral Ecology, Biology of Marine Mammals, Ecology, Evolution, Field Methods for Large Marine Vertebrates, Genetics, Introduction to GIS, Intermediate GIS, Invertebrate Zoology, Mammalogy, Marine Ecology, Marine Environment, Organic Chemistry
Graduate Coursework (Miami University): Data Visualization, Geographic Thought, Remote Sensing, Research Techniques, Spatial Database Management, Statistical Modeling and Study Design
Graduate Coursework (Penn State): Applied Statistics, Analytics Programming in Python
Skills: Cartography; GIS; GPS; Home Range Calculation (Minimum Convex Polygon, Kernel Density Estimation, Local convex hull); Invertebrate Sorting and Classification; Marine Mammal Husbandry; Off road driving: ATV and 4WD; Photo Identification of Humpbacks; Public Speaking; Puma Capture: Baiting, Trap Setting, and Monitoring; Radio Telemetry; Resighting of N. Elephant Seal; Set up and maintenance of camera traps; Sherman Trapping; Species Distribution Modeling; Video Data Collection
Software Proficiency: Adobe Creative Suite, ArcGIS 10.x, ENVI, Google Earth Engine, GIMP, Inkscape, Microsoft Office, PostGIS/PostgresSQL, QGIS 2.x and 3.x
Awards, Scholarships, and Honors
- 2019 Council of Graduate School’s Annual Meeting Invited Speaker
- 2019 American Association of Geographer’s Cartography Specialty Group Illustrated Student Paper Competition Finalist
- 2019 People’s Choice in Midwestern Association of Graduate Schools Three Minute Thesis Competition
- 2019 1st Place in Miami University’s 3 Minute Thesis Competition
- 2018-2019 Miami University, Department of Geography Graduate Teaching Assistantship
- 2017 Department of Defense Science, Mathematics, and Research for Transformation (SMART) Semi-finalist
- 2017 Oakes Senior Showcase
- 2016 Packard Scholar
Grudzinski, B. P., Cummins, H., & Vang, T. K. (2019). Beaver canals and their environmental effects. Progress in Physical Geography: Earth and Environment, 030913331987311. https://doi.org/10.1177/0309133319873116
Oral and Poster Presentations
- 2019 American Association of Geographers Annual Meeting poster presentation, “Preliminary site characteristics of beavers in southwest Ohio”
- 2017 UCSC Undergraduate Research Symposium poster presentation on “Home range trends among the pumas of the Santa Cruz Mountains.”
- 2017 Environmental Sciences Undergrad Senior Seminar poster presentation on “Home range trends among the pumas of the Santa Cruz Mountains.”
- 2016 American Cetacean Society International Conference poster presentation on “Fine scale site fidelity of northern elephant seals at Año Nuevo State Park”
- 2016 Society for Advancement of Chicanos/Hispanics & Native Americans in Science (SACNAS) poster presentation on “Fine scale site fidelity of northern elephant seals at Año Nuevo State Park”
- 2016 UCSC Summer Research Symposium poster presentation on “Fine scale site fidelity of northern elephant seals at Año Nuevo State Park”
- 2016 UCSC Undergraduate Research Symposium poster presentation on “Fine scale site fidelity of northern elephant seals at Año Nuevo State Park”
Outreach, Guest Lectures, and Workshops
- 2021 Fire Problem Based Learning Panel presentation at Adams 12 Five Star Schools. March 18, 2021.
- Volunteer panelist.
- Preble County Conservation Day Camp. June 20, 2019.
- Invited speaker. Spoke on the environmental impacts of beaver dams.
- RedHawk Talks. Miami University. March 2019.
- RedHawk Talks is a TED style speaking event sponsored by the Graduate School of Miami University.
- Introduction to PostGIS Workshop. Miami University. November 2018.
- Science Judge, Sea Lion Bowl. Feb 2014, Feb 2016.
- Exhibit Guide, Seymour Center. 2010 – 2012.
- Izzy Aristizabal: 2018-2019 Field Technician in the Grudzinski Lab
- Claire Stock: 2019 Field Technician in the Grudzinski Lab
- Mark Arenas: 2018 – 2020 Scholar in the Doris Duke Conservation Program at Northern Arizona University
- Vy Thuy Nguyen: 2018 – 2020 Scholar in UC Leads
- Ana Baylisss Grijalva: 2017 – 2020 Undergraduate researcher in the Bin Chen Lab and a 2018 UC Santa Cruz Packard Scholar
- Katherine Pham: University of California Santa Cruz
- Diana Alvarado: 2018 – 2019 Undergraduate Researcher in the Costa Lab and a 2018 UCSC Packard Scholarship
- Olivia Daniels: 2018 – 2019 Santa Cruz Puma Project Intern